There are many different types of paragraphs. Each has a unique purpose and role to play and when they are combined in the right way, they can form an essay. The type of paragraph that usually comes first within an essay is called the introductory paragraph.
There are two purposes of the introductory paragraph:
- To make readers want to read your paper
- To create a focused controlling idea for the rest of your essay
Both of these purposes are accomplished through something called the hook and the thesis statement.
Need More Help?
- Study other Writing Lessons in the Resource Center.
- Visit the Online Tutoring Resources in the Resource Center.
- Contact your Instructor.
- If you still need help, Schedule a Tutor.