The pattern used to do addition is the same no matter how many digits are in the numbers or how many numbers you are adding together.
Steps for Addition
- Stack the numbers according to place value.
- Add the numbers in the columns starting with the column on the right.
- Carry numbers into the next place value to the left as needed.
- Repeat this pattern for each remaining column.
Steps for addition
- Khan Academy: Using place value to add 3-digit numbers: part 2 (02:29 mins)
- Khan Academy: Adding 3-digit numbers (3:04 mins)
- Khan Academy: Relate place value to standard algorithm for multi-digit addition (3:04 mins)
Practice ProblemsEvaluate the following expressions:
- \(62 + 33 = ?\) (Solution
- \(525 + 25 = ?\) (Solution
- \(19 + 52 + 61 = ?\) (Video Solution
- \(637 + 400 = ?\) (Solution
- \(710 + 231 = ?\) (Solution
- \(968 + 875 + 682 = ?\) (Video Solution
Need More Help?
- Study other Math Lessons in the Resource Center.
- Visit the Online Tutoring Resources in the Resource Center.
- Contact your Instructor.
- If you still need help, Schedule a Tutor.