Asking and answering questions is at the foundation of all learning. The Savior asked questions to help learners to think deeply about the truths He taught. Learning to ask inspired questions will make learning a more meaningful experience.
Good questions force you to probe deeper into a topic and find relevance. Nephi taught that we should “liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning” (1 Nephi 19:23). Essentially, Nephi was asking, “So what?” What is the significance of what you are reading? How does it apply to your life? What will you do differently because of what you have learned?
Ponder and Record
As you review and reflect on the material above, please consider the following questions and record some of your thoughts in your Learning Journal:
- How often do you review what you have read? If you don’t often review your reading, what benefits do you think you can gain from reviewing?
- Do you often ask yourself deep questions about your scripture reading or your school reading? If so, what are some examples?
- Have you ever felt revelation come from the Holy Ghost as you ask yourself deep questions during your reading? What did you learn?
Need More Help?
- Study other Skills Lessons in the Resource Center.
- Visit the Online Tutoring Resources in the Resource Center.
- Contact your Instructor.
- If you still need help, Schedule a Tutor.