The first video in this lesson will go over the following vocabulary words:
- Expression = A statement using numbers and/or variables and an operator.
- Equation = Expressions with an equal sign (=).
- Formula = An equation that gives us instructions or a rule.
- Function = An equation where every input has only one output.
Expression, Equation, Formula, Function
Video Source (04:18 mins) | Transcript
The following video will explain more about how a function works using the metaphor or parable of a seed. Just as a seed is only able to produce the one plant it is meant to create, a function can only produce one output for each input value.
Video Source (02:22 mins) | Transcript
This video references the following talk by Elder Uchtdorf: God's Harvest.
Practice Problems1. Choose the answer that will correctly complete the following sentence. Each unique input into a function can lead to ____. (
- only one output
- several outputs
- a random number of outputs
- \(3x = 2\)
- \(5 + 1 = x\)
- \(3 − 1\)
- \(3 + 4\)
- \(5 + 1 = x − 2\)
Need More Help?
- Study other Math Lessons in the Resource Center.
- Visit the Online Tutoring Resources in the Resource Center.
- Contact your Instructor.
- If you still need help, Schedule a Tutor.