A percentage tells us what part of a whole something is. The following video will explain what percentages mean and where they come from.
Introduction to Percentages
Video Source (05:35 mins) | Transcript
Percent literally means “out of 100,” or “compared to 100.” Percentages are written with the % symbol. If we have half of something it is the same as 50% because 50 is half of 100.
The practice problems in this section use the concept “out of 100” to help you visualize what is happening when we add or subtract a percentage from another amount. We will go into this in more detail in the next few mini-lessons.
- Khan Academy: The Meaning of Percent (03:00 mins, Transcript)
- What does a percent mean? (Solution
- If an item purchased at a store costs $1 and has a sales tax rate of 6%, what will be the total amount paid for the item? (Video Solution
- If a tire store is having a sale for 10% off any tire, and you purchase a tire that normally costs $100, what is the sale price of the tire after the 10% is taken off? (Solution
- If you earn 20% commission for any sale you make, and you sell $100 worth of product, how much will you earn for that sale? (Video Solution
- If you earn $100 and pay tithing at a rate of 10%, how much money will you pay in tithing? (Solution
Need More Help?
- Study other Math Lessons in the Resource Center.
- Visit the Online Tutoring Resources in the Resource Center.
- Contact your Instructor.
- If you still need help, Schedule a Tutor.