The key to knowing whether to add or subtract is to know what kind of numbers you are working with; positive or negative numbers. It is up to us to determine what we’re working with, and practicing multiple types of problems is important in becoming familiar with the different kinds of numbers. This video will review what we have covered on addition and subtraction with positive and negative numbers:
Summary Addition and Subtraction with positive and negative numbers
- Khan Academy: Adding & Subtracting Negative Numbers (04:06 mins, Transcript)
Practice ProblemsEvaluate the following expression:
- \(4 - 9 = ?\) (Solution
- \(7 + (-9) = ?\) (Video Solution
- \(10 - (-7) = ?\) (Solution
- \(-8 + 4 = ?\) (Video Solution
- \(-4 + (-4) = ?\) (Solution
- \(-8 - (-4) = ?\) (Solution
Need More Help?
- Study other Math Lessons in the Resource Center.
- Visit the Online Tutoring Resources in the Resource Center.
- Contact your Instructor.
- If you still need help, Schedule a Tutor.